In 2017 I started a free your mind movement called Note To Self in preparation for a bigger dream in 2018. That type of writing was unconventional and very spontaneous. It all started one fine morning when I had gone to the studios of Metro TV with a client to do an interview. The name on every Ghanaian trend list that morning was Abena Korkor; please if you don’t know her or the case in question, Google (no konkonsa here).
Let me back track a bit to share details on when exactly the whole idea of notes to self started. Since January 2017, I had been asking God to show me the direction for the year. Though I didn’t hear a clear word on what the new dimension for my writings was, I must say I got answers to certain aspects of my life.
Guess what the man upstairs did. God planted the subject of writing notes to self on my heart on Monday October 16, 2017. That’s exactly 75 days to 2018.
Right in the studios of Metro TV, I pulled out my phone and started typing my perspective on the Abena Korkor case. I successfully posted that first Note To Self, got all the fans I could glean and felt fulfilled. 24 hours later, I got a Facebook alert that my note to had been removed because “It looks like spam and doesn’t follow our Community Standards”. The thing went (pained) me. How could they do that?
I forward the screenshot to a few friends, for them to show me how the post was spam. Read it for yourself and be the judge:
Note to Self: Abena Korkor
I’ve been thinking of Abena Korkor list and the subsequent backlash on social media and even offline.
I recommend we all mind our own business kakraa. The hypocrisy is too much.
* You dont watch porn, yet you follow x rated accounts on Instagram. Abeg, you are guilty some.
* You don’t fornicate or commit adultery, yet you lust after girls and boys. Read Matthew 5:27-28 wai
~“You have heard that it was said to those of old,[a] ‘You shall not commit adultery. But I say to you that whoever looks at a woman to lust for her has already committed adultery with her in his heart.
* Everybody knows you’re a saint yet you follow all the boss chics on Snapchat. Ebe preaching u dey listen for dema snaps inside abi?
* You sleep with people’s daughters and think nobody knows about it.
Just wait till your video comes out.
Abeg make we think wai.
It’s only God’s grace that is keeping us o. Those priding themselves with self-righteousness, self-control and “This thing can’t happen to me” mentality, think again.
I repeat, It’s God’s grace only.
But the boys too dem no try o…….
That one spam story forced me to divert all the anger into writing more notes. I have even lost count of how many I have written from October 16 till date.
Because my note to self idea came later in 2017, I started searching myself for likely reasons. What I found wasn’t directly linked to my writing business; it was rather a reflection of what I made time for and the whys or why nots.
Note To Self Preparations For 2018
Dear Self, in 2018 be different…
Trim your friend list
Whether it’s Facebook, WhatsApp or in person, re-evaluate the company you keep.
• Cut some off
• Say no to any demand that genuinely deserves No for an answer.
• Cut them off, again I say; this is not kindergarten (coded message).
• Oh, and be prepared to receive a ‘proud guy’, ‘too-known’ tag. lol
• Family and true friends are all you’ve got on this earth; make time for them.
• The reverse is true…. #iRun
Related: Christian Note to Self: A Beautiful Day
Talk less; don’t waste time
• Cut off WhatsApp chats especially. Many just drain data, battery and time.
• Turn off your data once in a while to enjoy Me times.
• Invest in some form of education
• Read and read again. Read one book every month.
• Make it a habit to save money.
Keep a low profile
• Learn to blend in
• Relate well with everyone.
• Save the credentials for your CV and LinkedIn
• Let your hard work or output do all the talking
• Self, keep somethings to your self
8“When you are invited by someone to a wedding feast, do not take the place of honor, because a person more distinguished than you may have been invited by your host.
9 So the host who invited both of you will come and say to you, ‘Give this man your place.’ Then, ashamed, you will begin to move to the least important place.
10 But when you are invited, go and take the least important place, so that when your host approaches he will say to you, ‘Friend, move up here to a better place.’ Then you will be honored in the presence of all who share the meal with you.”
Self, take note of the below…
• Make time to sleep (This I have tied to my knee)
• Eat well (you can say that again)
• Make time to exercise
• Get medical check-up once in a while
My 2018 Dreams
After all obstacles have been cleared and binned, follow your dreams to the fullest
• The best way to pursue your dream is to pursue it; no short cuts, self.
• Don’t let anyone or anything stop you
• Action, now now now now!!!
Final Words On Note To Self
I’m also grateful to the silent readers who make time to read (Facebook analytics makes it possible for me to see all the views).
I pray for strength to continue.
Don’t be shy to add to the list for 2018 preparations. Legoooo.
God bless us all.
#Happy2018 #PositiveVibes #GraceAddict #ItsGettingBiggerAndBetter #TheFutureIsExciting #paakwesiforson
By: Paa Kwesi Forson
If you enjoyed reading this post, please recommend and share it to help others find it!
You can submit your original story to us through; [email protected]